Airy Hall consists of 1561 acres with 6 miles of Ashepoo Riverfront and is located in the Ace Basin area between Charleston and Hilton Head Island. In 2000, Airy Hall received the Colleton County Historical and Preservation Society’s Landgrave Edmund Bellinger’s Award. The original land was granted to the Hutcheson Family by Charles II and is now combined with a state granted of 288 acres made to Philip Smith in 1786. For over 200 years, Airy Hall has remained in tact as it passed through hands of the Smith, Skirving, Elliot and Gonzales families. The present house, which is accessed through an ancient avenue of oaks, was constructed by Colonel Robert G. Elbert in the late 1920’s on the site of the original that was burned in the early 19th century.